Emnet is a PhD student at Ghent University (Belgium) and Assistant Professor at Mekelle University (Ethiopia). He also worked for Tigray Bureau of Agriculture and Rural Development between 2012 and 2017. His research interest include Climate, Rainfall, Farming, Remote Sensing and GIS.
PUBLICATIONS RELATED TO THE CRISIS IN TIGRAY
- Ghebreyohannes, T., Meaza, H., Tesfamariam, Z., Negash, E., and Nyssen, J. 2022. Crop status in Tigray (north Ethiopia) in August 2022.
- Ghebreyohannes, T., Nyssen, J., Negash, N., Meaza, H., Tesfamariam, Z., Frankl, A., Demissie, B., Van Schaeybroeck, B., Redda, A., Annys, S., Abay, A. 2022. Challenges and resilience of an indigenous farming system during wartime (Tigray, North Ethiopia). Agronomy for Sustainable Development.
- Nyssen, J., Negash, E., Annys, S., Haegeman, K., Van Schaeybroeck, B. 2022. Crop cultivation at wartime – the resilience of Tigray’s agrarian society (north Ethiopia). Defence and Peace Economics.
- Demissie, B., Nyssen, J., Annys, S., Negash, E., Gebrehiwet, T., Abay, F. and Wolff, E. 2022. Geospatial solutions for evaluating the impact of the Tigray conflict on farming. Acta Geophysica, pp.1-15.
- Annys, S., Vanden Bempt, T., Negash, E., De Sloover, L., Ghekiere, R., Haegeman, K., Temmerman, D., Nyssen, J. 2021. Tigray: atlas of the humanitarian situation. Ghent University, Department of Geography (Ghent, Belgium) & Every Casualty Counts (London (U.K.).
- Negash, E., Annys, S., Demissie, B., & Nyssen, J. 2021. Overseas Scientific Collaborations and their Role for Mirroring Humanitarian Catastrophes. In Scientific Missions and their Advancement for Overseas Sciences: Past, Present and Future (p. 38).
- Weldemichel, T. G., Negash, E., Gebreselassie, G., Teklay, A., & Nyssen, J. 2021. Database: the Ethiopian public universities during the Tigray war [dataset]. Zenodo.
- Annys, S., Negash, E., De Sloover, L., Vanden Bempt, T., & Nyssen, J. 2021. Mapping the Humanitarian Emergencies in Tigray. In Africa and its ecologies: people and nature in the age of climate change (pp. 13–14).
- Vanden Bempt, T., Annys, S., Negash, E., Ghekiee, R., & Nyssen, J. 2021. Tigray: one year of conflict – Casualties of the armed conflict, 2020-2021 – Tigray (Ethiopia). Ghent University, Department of Geography (Ghent, Belgium) & Every Casualty Counts (London (U.K.).
- Negash, E., Patel, O. 2021, Pasha 130: The Ethiopia and Tigray conflict is worsening hunger in the region. The Conversation.
- Asfaha, T.G., Nyssen, J., Negash, E., Meaza, H., Tesfamariam, Z., Belachew, B., Gebremichael, G., Tadesse, Y, Kiros, D., Hailemariam, T., Frankl, A., Demissie, B., Van Schaeybroek, B., Redda, A., Annys, S., Abay, F. 2021. August 2021 status of cropping in the wider surroundings of Mekelle (Tigray, Ethiopia).
- Nyssen, J., Negash, E., Annys, S. 2021. How Ethiopia’s conflict has affected farming in Tigray. The Conversation.
- Nyssen, J., Negash, E., Annys, S., Van Schaeybroeck, B. 2021. Ploughing in the Tigray War.
- Nyssen, J., Negash, E., Deckers, S. 2021. Status of the Tigray universities (Ethiopia) after nine months of war.
INVITED PRESENTATIONS AND INTERVIEWS RELATED TO THE CRISIS
- The New York Times, June 23, 2022: When Satellites Capture a Crisis – How one research team is telling the story of Ethiopia’s civil war.
- Al Jazeera, 25 May 2022: Can Ethiopia build on a truce to end war in Tigray? (half a minute intervention, at 10:33 minutes).
- Al Jazeera, 3 Feb 2022: Can Abiy Ahmed’s national dialogue end Ethiopia’s war? (a one-minute intervention, at 15:20 minutes, followed by an appraisal by the Crisis Group’s William Davison).
- Royal Academy for Overseas Sciences. Brussels, 20 Dec 2021. Presented a paper: Overseas Scientific Collaborations and their Role for Mirroring Humanitarian Catastrophes.
- Symposium – Crisis in Tigray: A Critical Dialogue. Howard University, Washington DC, 12 Nov 2021. Presented a paper: Tigray – war, people and the environment.
- The Conversation, 04 Nov 2021, Tigray: the devastating toll of Ethiopia’s vicious year of war.
- BBC NEWS Tigrigna, 03 Nov 2021, ቅልውላው ትግራይ፡ ኣብ ከቢድ ጥምየት ዝነብሩ ሰባት እንታይ ይብሉ? [Crisis in Tigray: What do people facing catastrophic famine say?].
- The National, 22 Oct 2021, Locusts threaten to compound hunger crisis in Ethiopia’s Tigray region.
- University World News, 15 Aug 2021, University students still trapped in Tigray crisis, parents continue protests.
- MO*, 31 Dec 2020, Ethiopische diaspora in België verdeeld over conflict in Tigray: ‘Ik hoop dat het ooit nog goed komt’ [Ethiopian diaspora in Belgium divided over conflict in Tigray: ‘I hope it will be okay’].